Position: Assistant/Associate Professor in Hospitality and Tourism Management, 9-months, tenure-track, full time.
Effective: August 16, 2014
- Actively publish in peer-reviewed hospitality and tourism journals and disseminate results to appropriate professional forums.
- Teach and develop a wide range of hospitality undergraduate courses.
- Advise undergraduate students and actively participate in student organizations and activities.
- Participate in outreach, which includes university service and professional associations.
- Develop liaisons with business and industry.
- Support the NDSU land-grant mission of teaching, research, and service.
- Earned doctoral degree in hospitality and tourism management (or other degrees in a closely related field), from an accredited university. ABDs will be considered, but must have terminal degree by August 15, 2014.
- Expertise in hospitality management with a focus area in at least one of the following: hospitality financial management (accounting, cost control, etc.), strategic management, revenue management, or food and beverage management.
- Evidence of effective college-level teaching and experience in developing instructional materials.
- Potential for scholarly competence and ability to perform academic research.
- Prior industry experience in hospitality or related fields.
- Evidence of effective oral and written communication skills.
- Effective collegiality and interpersonal skills.
- Effective utilization of classroom technologies and hospitality and tourism specific software.
- Prior experience with curriculum development, academic advising, and involvement with student organizations.
- On-line teaching experience.
- Prior experience in mentoring undergraduates in research.
- Active participation in professional organizations.
- A self-directed individual with evidence of collaborative work.
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Application materials must be submitted electronically (MS Word or PDF preferred) on the NDSU website (http://jobs.ndsu.edu/postings/1879) and should include:
- Letter of interest that specifically addresses how the candidate’s experiences and qualifications fit the described position.
- Curriculum vita.
- Official transcripts.
- Names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses of three references, who are knowledgeable of previous education/professional work experiences, for future contact. Also, include your professional relationship with each reference listed. Additional information may be requested.
Review of applications begin on May 2, 2014, and will continue until position is filled. Inquiries should be addressed to: Amelia Asperin, Ph.D., Search Committee Chair, Department of Apparel, Design, and Hospitality Management, North Dakota State University, Fargo, North Dakota 58108-5060 USA, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Telephone: 01 (701) 231-5720; Fax: 01 (701) 231-5273.
The Hospitality and Tourism Management (HTM) program is the only 4-year degree program in the state. HTM has approximately 100 students enrolled and is ACPHA accredited. A majority of the students (50%) at NDSU come from North Dakota and 40% are from Minnesota. The hospitality program began in 1985, with the authorization of the State Board of Higher Education. The program has grown significantly since it was first accredited in 2004.
NDSU is a student-focused, land-grant, research university, ranked by the Carnegie Commission on Higher Education among the top 108 public and private universities in the country. NDSU is in the elite category of "Research Universities/Very High Research Activity." NDSU is one of two flagship universities in North Dakota, with several programs ranked in the Top 100 by the National Science Foundation. It is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools. The university offers over 100 majors, as well as many Masters and PhD programs. NDSU employs over 500 full-time faculty to accommodate the student body of more than 14,000.
**North Dakota State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and educational institution. The traditionally underrepresented groups (minorities and women) are encouraged to apply.