Position: Instructor, Culinary Arts
Status: Full time Tenure track
Department: Culinary Arts
Sub-division: Career and Technical Education
Division: Academic Affairs
Reports to: Department Chair and the Dean of Career and Technical Education
Placement: Placement on salary schedule is dependent on qualifications.
Minimum Pay Rate: Qualifications include education and related work experience.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity, gender, language, age and background. Joliet Junior College is an AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates who would enhance the diversity of its staff.
Adapt to new and changing situations and demonstrate a positive attitude. Demonstrate respect for students; understand learning styles and apply understanding to institution-related activities; demonstrate integrity and promote diversity and open communications. Fifteen credit hours a semester constitute a standard load. Course assignments may be late afternoon, evening, Saturday, and at branch campuses or satellite centers. Position is subject to all terms and provisions of the Joliet Junior College faculty contract.
Essential Job Juties and Key Responsibilities
- Teach a minimum of 15 credit hour load per semester in the discipline as needed.
- Possess and maintain a thorough knowledge of the subject matter necessary to the assigned course load by actively seeking professional development and industry feedback in the field of Culinary Arts.
- Utilize effective teaching methods in the classroom to engage students as active learners and be versatile to adapt to changing instructional technologies and teach to a diverse student population.
- Work closely with other instructors and special programs and services within the college to determine placements, curriculum, and academic support.
- Participate in course development, assessment, accreditation, and planning activities.
- Be willing to teach online and/or blended courses.
- Participate in appropriate departmental meetings and recruitment activities; serve on committees.
- Assist students with academic advising.
- Participate in and/or actively lead Student Club sponsorship responsibilities within the program area if requested.
- Teach classes during non-traditional times (evenings and weekends) if needed.
- Maintain rapport with multicultural students and faculty within a community college environment.
- Teach at other campus sites as needed. Conduct “hands on” practical classes in food production, fabrication, professional culinary skill and technique development, and basic baking.
- Participate in promoting the Culinary Arts Program by maintaining an active relationship with the Food Service Industry, professional organizations and the area high schools.
- Participate with students in culinary competitions and other extra-curricular culinary and hospitality related events.
- Meet other contractual obligations as spelled out in the Joliet Junior College faculty contract
- Must have an Associate’s in Culinary Arts from a nationally recognized post-secondary culinary school. (Bachelor’s Degree is REQUIRED by the time of granting of tenure).
- Ten (10) years of industry work experience in a high volume or fine dining venue with at least five (5) years as an Executive Chef or Chef de Cuisine.
- Certified or certifiable as a Certified Executive Chef as per the ACF guidelines.
- Expertise in appropriate technologies for instruction.
- Demonstrated commitment to teaching and learning.
- Well versed in both classical and contemporary cooking methods.
- Excellent communication, math and writing skills.
- Quality knife, cooking, plating and garnishing skills.
- Enthusiastic and energetic people skills.
- Currently participates in community involvement and community activities.
- Must be competent to instruct in both theoretical and practical classroom settings.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Culinary, Hospitality Management or related field.
- Teaching experience at the collegiate level.
- Experience with traditional and non-traditional students or workforce from diverse backgrounds.
- Experience in teaching online and/or using course management programs.
- Experience in course development and assessment, planning, quality and accreditation processes, and committee service.
Physical Demands: Normal Culinary Arts classroom physical demands.
Working Conditions: Classroom teaching environment.
Application Deadline: May 26, 2014
Application Procedure: Apply on-line at http://employment.jjc.edu