Assistant or Associate Professor of Hospitality Management
Tenure-Track; ABD can apply
- Committed to delivering stimulating and effective outcomes-based learning to a culturally and economically diverse population of students by integrating classroom, field-based and distance learning and assessment.
- Faculty teaching responsibilities include undergraduate and graduate teaching and assessment in hospitality management and general business courses including management and marketing courses.
- Develop in collaboration with the Executive Director of Hospitality programs (EDHP) and other faculty, curricula and pedagogical approaches for the hospitality management program.
- Develop in collaboration with the EDHP a curriculum for a degreed program in Sustainable Hospitality Management, an online Master’s degree program in Sustainable Hospitality Management and various certification programs in tourism and hospitality management.
- Work cooperatively with multiple stakeholders including hospitality industry in the region and beyond, faculty and staff.
- Position is expected to teach a total of 24 units (generally equivalent to 6 courses) per academic year.
- Teaching and learning responsibilities include advising students in hospitality management and also in general business.
- Undertake and maintain research, university service, and community service activities suitable for promotion and tenure.
- Assist the EDHP in establishing and directing the CSUMB Institute of Sustainable Hospitality Management, which will be a resource to provide research and workshops focused on tourism/hospitality community issues.
- Assist the EDHP in working with the hospitality industry, University Advancement, and others to assure the hospitality program meets industry and community needs and to attract non-State support for the program.
- Engaging with the business, government and nonprofit communities and other stakeholders; a professional network is critical.
- Willingness to mentor students, and enable their career goals through introduction and referrals to firms, government or local nonprofit organizations.
- Teaching 12 credits (usually three courses) per semester; this is a typical faculty load.
- Ph.D. in tourism/hospitality, business administration or a related field. (ABDs will be considered but the doctorate must be attained by the date of hire).
- Experience working in the tourism/hospitality industry, preferably in resort, restaurant or hotel management.
- Passionate about teaching preferably evidenced by good student evaluations; must be able to demonstrate teaching capabilities.
- Interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate with colleagues is essential.
- Ability to teach effectively in a wide range of courses, mostly in hospitality and/or marketing and/or service/operations management.
- Experience working effectively in an ethnically and culturally diverse campus community and business community.
- Experience in sustainable hospitality management industry, sustainable hospitality management education or teaching.
- Successful undergraduate teaching experience supported by strong student and/or peer assessments
- Teaching experience in resort management, or hospitality management or hotel management or restaurant/institutional management.
- Success in developing cooperative programs/initiatives with the industry and evidence of continuing involvement with local or national hospitality industry.
- Evidence of hospitality community-focused research.
- Proven ability to work well with a broad range of stakeholders
- Demonstrated leadership skills in professional or academic areas are desirable.
As part of the employment process, California State University, Monterey Bay verifies statements made regarding employment history, academic credential/degree completion, and conducts a criminal history check.
Job Posting Date: 5/22/14
Screening Begins: 6/30/14
Appointment Date: Fall 2014
All prospective applicants must apply on-line at https://mocha.csumb.edu/uhr/jobs/login_applicant.jsp
100 Campus Center Seaside, California USA 93955
T 01 (831) 582-3385 F 01 (831) 582-4736