Assistant/Associate Professor or Lecturer - Hotel, Resort & Hospitality Management
The School of Business at Southern Utah University is searching for a tenure-track full-time (9-month) Assistant/Associate Professor, or Lecturer of Hotel, Resort & Hospitality Management. The start date for this position is Fall 2018. The rank of the position is dependent upon experience and qualifications. Position Description: The Assistant/Associate Professor position will provide full-time academic service to our undergraduate program in Hospitality and Tourism Management and graduate programs in Tourism Management or Hospitality Industry Studies. In addition to teaching, each faculty member assists with student advisement/activities and curriculum planning, recruits and collaborates with adjunct faculty, and nurtures industry relationships. Many of our faculty conduct applied research in the field. The School of Business: Southern Utah University located in Cedar City, Utah, is a caring campus community where students come to explore their interests and prepare for meaningful careers and life experiences. With more than 140 undergraduate and 19 graduate programs across six academic colleges, SUU proudly offers world-class, project-based learning opportunities where students gain professional experience before entering the job market. SUU’s safe, residential campus allows students (over 10,000) to create lifelong friendships along with once-in-a-lifetime outdoor adventures in conjunction with innovative academic endeavors.
Located in the world’s best backyard, SUU is the “University of the Parks” thanks to its proximity to several outdoor recreational areas and its educational partnerships with the National Park Service. The School of Business takes full advantage of its location through site visits, guest lectures by prominent leaders in the industry, and internship experiences that give students an all-encompassing view of an industry that grows in volume and significance each day. Required skills and qualifications: The successful candidate will possess advanced academic and/or professional credentials, with a terminal degree and/or significant relevant industry experience preferred. Experience teaching at the undergraduate or graduate levels in a selective university environment is preferred.
More specifically, candidates for this position should possess:
- Earned master’s degree in a hospitality or business-related field.
- Excellent teaching skills in various hospitality and tourism courses.
- Management experience in the hospitality and tourism industry.
Preferred skills and qualifications:
- Earned doctorate in Hospitality Administration or an earned doctorate in a related field with significant professional experience.
- An active research agenda that meets AACSB standards.
- Knowledge of AACSB standards and accreditation.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide excellent instruction in undergraduate courses in hospitality management.
- Teach various lodging courses including Introduction to Hospitality Management, Tourism Management, Services Marketing, Meetings & Conventions, etc.
- Grow enrollment and curriculum options in the Hotel, Resort, and Hospitality Management major.
- Grow and nurture hospitality industry contacts for internships and career opportunities.
- Conduct research that enhances HRHM instruction and the regional hospitality and tourism industry.
- Provide service to the department, school, and university, and the hospitality and tourism industry.
- Other duties as assigned.
In accordance with Utah State Code 53B-1-110, appointment to this position is contingent upon the successful passing of a background check. The position is open until filled. A first review of applications will begin on March 1, 2018.