Associate or Full Professor, Hospitality & Food Industry Management (HFIM) Coordinator
The Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AAE) at the University of Georgia College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences invites applications and nominations for the position of Program Coordinator (tenure-track Associate or Full Professor) of a newly created major in Hospitality and Food Industry Management. The Coordinator will report directly to the Department Head of AAE and will provide leadership for developing new courses, recruiting students, securing industry support, and building the major into a successful program in terms of outstanding instruction, service to the hospitality industry, and scholarly research. The initial appointment for the position will be approximately 40% instruction, 30% research, and 30% administration.
- Articulate a clear vision to position the major for growth.
- Effectively interact with and coordinate the efforts of the staff of the Georgia Center (a 200 room/suite conference center located on campus) to provide a “hands-on” component to the curriculum.
- Develop relationships with industry related organizations and businesses at the local, regional and national level to include the establishment of an industry advisory board.
- Create and execute a plan to stimulate enrollment.
- Serve as the faculty advisor to students in the program.
- Manage and monitor the curriculum to continuously improve the quality of student learning.
- Teach a minimum of three to four courses per year.
- Research and service expectations will increase as program becomes more established.
- Work cooperatively with administrators, faculty, students and industry.
- An earned doctorate with at least one graduate degree in hospitality or closely related area.
- To be considered for Associate Professor, applicant must have at least 5 years’ experience at the Assistant Professor rank or already hold the position of Associate Professor with a minimum of 4 of those years of experience being in a hospitality program.
- To be considered for Full Professor, applicant must have 5 years’ experience at the Associate Professor rank or already hold the Full Professor rank.
- A minimum of three years of demonstrated excellence in relevant teaching.
- Research with evidence of research productivity (e.g. history of refereed publications; securing external funding).
- Membership and participation in relevant professional organizations.
- Excellent communication skills supporting effective interaction with stakeholders.
- Leadership experience in academic programs at the post-secondary level.
- A minimum of 5 year record of interacting with and relating to organizations or businesses within the hospitality and food management industry
- 5 years’ experience providing successful academic and career advice to a substantial number of hospitality students as demonstrated by reference letters, statement of responsibilities from previous position(s), and/or student testimonials.
The position is a 12-month, tenure-track calendar year appointment. Salary commensurate with qualifications. Start-up package is negotiable. Position is open until filled, but application review will start on May 24, 2018. Position available August 6, 2018.
The University of Georgia is located in Athens, a vibrant community renowned for music and arts as well as collegiate athletics. Outdoor activities are popular year-round and the bustling urban center of Atlanta, located 70 miles west of Athens, offers all of the amenities of a world-class city. The main campus is approximately 60 miles from the Blue Ridge Mountains and 185 miles from the coast. The University of Georgia, is a Research I, land-grant institution in the University System of Georgia. Founded in 1785, the University of Georgia is the largest and most comprehensive educational institution in the state. UGA has approximately 35,200 undergraduates and has been ranked by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top 20 public institutions of higher education in the United States. Visit the University’s website at www.uga.edu for additional information.
Nominations, questions and/or other inquiries should be directed to Search Committee Chair, Dr. John C. Bergstrom, Professor, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics, email@example.com.
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please do not contact the department or search committee with such requests.