Peter Beomcheol Kim
Auckland University of Technology
The APacCHRIE-EuroCHRIE Joint Conference in Hong Kong: East meets West in Hospitality and Tourism Education
Greetings from Auckland, New Zealand!
This month (22–25 May), the historic APacCHRIE-EuroCHRIE Joint Conference will be taking place in Hong Kong with more than 600 international delegates.
In addition to concurrent presentation sessions, the following workshops will be provided on 22 May:
- The all-day the Certification in Hotel Industry Analytics & Certification in Advanced Hospitality and Tourism Analytics training sessions organized by the STR SHARE Center, and a Simulations for Learning session organized by the Russell Partnership.
- Two workshops will be organized for journal editors to share their insights on recent research and paper publication trends: one in the morning (09:00–10:00) organized by Taylor & Francis Asia Pacific; and another in the afternoon (14:00–15:30) organized by the School of Hotel & Tourism Management at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
- Two workshops will be offered concurrently in the morning (11:00–12:30) at which renowned scholars will discuss the issues of and strategies applicable to different stages of an academic career: one on early-career related issues and the other on mid-career issues.
- A ‘Design Thinking’ workshop will also be offered in the morning (09:00–11:00), which will provide a quick overview of the phenomenon of Design Thinking, including its historical perspective, current developments and its application in hospitality.
What makes the conference more special is that the Joint Youth Conference will be simultaneously taking place, with more than 100 undergraduate student delegates from all over the world. Here are some key features of the Joint Youth Conference:
- The Youth Conference aims to develop leadership skills and knowledge of students as well as to expose them to various opportunities. The conference program covers areas including education, research and activities related to the hospitality and tourism industry. The Youth Conference also allows students with different cultural backgrounds to interact, discuss and exchange ideas, knowledge and practical skills.
- In addition to having industry leaders as speakers, the Youth Conference will also feature a special panel entitled ‘Inspiration and Passion for a Hospitality Career: Sharing from Recent Graduates’. Panelists will all be recent graduates from universities who are now working in the hospitality and travel industries.
- If you are planning to attend the conference, please don’t forget to download the conference mobile application. For more information about the conference, visit its website, http://www.chriehk2019.com and its Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/Chriehongkong2019.
Please stay in touch with the APacCHRIE Federation and its members on our website, http://www.apacchrie.org/ and our Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/Apacchrie-The-Tourism-and-Hospitality-Educators-689514288138485/.
See you in Hong Kong!
Peter B Kim, President of APacCHRIE, firstname.lastname@example.org